What Is Embryo Donation?
Embryos are created through Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ART). In order to minimize multiple pregnancies, excess embryos are frozen (cryopreserved) in liquid nitrogen for future use. Eventually, a caring and compassionate individual, an embryo donor, may decide to donate these frozen embryos. Rather than discard the embryos or donate them to science, the embryo donor believes that their embryos deserve a chance at life and a patient in need deserves a chance at parenthood. It is truly a wonderful and amazing gift.
What Should You Do With Your Frozen Embryos?
We completely understand that deciding what to do with your frozen embryos is a very difficult decision. You may use them, continue to store them, donate them to science, donate them to patients in need or, sometimes, even discard them.
They were created with the hope and dream of building a family. You gave so much to creating those embryos. Perhaps now, would you consider helping others experiencing the same painful infertility journey?
Why Embryo Donation At EDI?
Important for embryo donors-
While there are a very limited number of programs performing embryo donation, there are a few reasons you may want to consider Embryo Donation International:
- If you owe residual storage fees, we may be able to reimburse some portion of these fees to your storage facility.
- There is absolutely no cost to you for donating your embryos. For example, all embryo transportation fees are paid by EDI.
- We donate to charity for every set of embryos donated. You get to pick the charity from our carefully selected group of organizations.
- While certainly optional, you may stipulate the characteristics of the recipients including geographic location, race, religion and marital status.
- We offer Anonymous, Approved and Open Embryo Donation options.
- We have been performing embryo donation since 2001 making us one of the most experienced facilities in the field of embryo donation.
- You can initiate the embryo donation process here at EDI on-line.
- Our embryo recipients come from locations across the United States and the world. By donating to EDI, you need not worry about unexpectedly meeting the resulting offspring.
- Up to the point of transfer, EDI will allow you to have your embryos returned upon request.
- We try to minimize the inconvenience to you. For example, psychological evaluation and blood tests are optional and not mandatory for donating your embryos.
- Florida has excellent legal statutes making it a safe haven in which to donate and receive embryos.
Important for embryo recipients-
- We try to make it easier and less expensive for the potential recipients to find embryos. By doing so, we increase the likelihood that your embryos will find a wonderful home.
- The embryo database is easily accessible though this Website at no charge to the recipients. Registration is purely optional.
- EDI does not charge a "middle-man" fee in the embryo donation process, thereby decreasing the costs to the embryo recipient.
- EDI agrees to help keep all parties notified of newly diagnosed genetic problems in the embryo donor family or the embryo recipient offspring while still maintaining anonymity.
Important for all parties-
- EDI has an extraordinarily well-organized and successful embryo donation program. This makes it far more likely that all steps of the embryo donation process will run smoothly.
- While some embryo donation programs limit the donors and recipients to a certain religion or marital status, EDI does not. We open our practice to all those interested in donating and receiving embryos regardless of race, religion or marital status.
- EDI has a history of being an "Embryo Advocate" by discussing the fate of abandoned embryos and trying to change current standards regarding the automatic disposal of the abandoned embryo.
At this time, embryo donors cannot be paid. In fact, some states in the U.S.A. clearly prohibit the payment of any money for embryos.
If you know someone who does not want to use their cryopreserved embryos, but does not feel comfortable discarding them or donating them within their own community, please have them visit the Website here and consider EDI. We have many patients waiting and hoping for the amazing gift of embryo donation.